The Normandy Region
A few figures:
- 5 % of the area of France (29 906 km²)
- 5 % of the French population (more than 3 million of inhabitants)
- 111 people per square kilometre (compared with 952 in Guernsey and 738 in Jersey)
- 1 administrative region: Normandy
- 5 departments (County councils) : Calvados, Eure, Manche, Orne and Seine-Maritime
- 3 major urban axes:
- Rouen: 390 000 inhabitants, inland port between Paris and Manche
- Le Havre: 248 000 inhabitants
- Caen: 199 000 inhabitants.
The geography: characteristics of its « countries »
Normandy is divided into 2 “areas”: “Inlands regions” and “Coastal regions“
The Alabaster Coast, the Floral Coast, the Mother of pearl and Bessin coasts (landing beaches) and Cotentin.
Inlands regions :
Pays de Caux, Pays de Bray, Vexin Normand, Pays d’Ouche, Seine Valley.
Cotentin, Orne’s forests, Perche, Pays d’Argentan, Bocage Virois, Swiss Normandy, Pays d’Auge.
A brief history
We list here just a few of the most important dates in the history of the region:
- 820: First Norman raid on the Manche coast
- 911: Rollon, first duke of Normandy
- From 10th to 12th century: Normandy became practically independent of the kingdom of France
- 1027: Birth at Falaise of William the Conqueror
- 1066: Battle of Hastings. Conquest of England. William becomes King of England..
- 1087: Death of William the conqueror
- 1204: Normandy is reunified with the Crown of France
- 1417/1450: Normandy is occupied by the English
- 1450: Normandy is recovered after the victory of Formigny and capture of Cherbourg
- 1469: Charles of France, last duke of Normandy, is stripped of his dukedom.
- 1795-1800: Normandy uprising.
- June 6th 1944: Allied forces land on the coast of Calvados and Manche
Tourist Information Contacts
Regional Tourism Board
Counties Tourism Boards
- County Council of Calvados, Conseil Départemental du Calvados
- County Council of Eure, Conseil Départemental de l’Eure
- County Council of la Manche, Conseil Départemental de la Manche
- County Council of Orne, Conseil Départemental de l’Orne
- County Council of Seine Maritime, Conseil Départemental de Seine Maritime
- Police port authority of the English Channel and of the North Sea
- Prefecture of Normandy
- Regional Council of Normandy